Gifts of the Spirit

There are different gifts but the same Spirit; there are different ministries but the same Lord; there are different works but the same God who accomplishes all of them in everyone. To each person the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. To one the Spirit gives wisdom in discourse, to another the power to express knowledge. Through the Spirit one receives faith; by the same Spirit another is given the gift of healing, and still another miraculous powers. Prophecy is given to one; to another power to distinguish one spirit from another. One receives the gift of tongues, another that of interpreting the tongues. But it is one and the same Spirit
who produces all these gifts distributing them to each as he wills.
1 Corinthians 12:4-11
May we all live the gifts that we have been given in humble service to God and others.











Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Tolkien~ not just hobbits, wizards and ogres

I recently found a new blog, Standing on My Head, by Fr. Dwight Longenecker. So far, I really like what I see, so much so I ordered his book “The Gargoyle Code” for Lent. It is a book written in the same spirit as “The Screwtape Letters”, by C. S. Lewis.  I am planning some Lenten reflections, so I will be sharing my thoughts as I use this in my Lenten practices this year. I can't wait!

I want to thank Fr. Longenecker for  posting this quote by J.R.R Tolkien today~
"The only cure for sagging of fainting faith is Communion. Though always Itself, perfect and complete and inviolate, the Blessed Sacrament does not operate completely and once for all in any of us. Like the act of Faith it must be continuous and grow by exercise. Frequency is of the highest effect. Seven times a week is more nourishing than seven times at intervals. Also I can recommend this as an exercise (alas! only too easy to find opportunity for): make your communion in circumstances that affront your taste. Choose a snuffling or gabbling priest or a proud and vulgar friar; and a church full of the usual bourgeois crowd, ill-behaved children - from those who yell to those products of Catholic schools who the moment the tabernacle is opened sit back and yawn - open necked and dirty youths, women in trousers and often with hair both unkempt and uncovered. Go to communion with them (and pray for them). It will be just the same (or better than that) as a mass said beautifully by a visibly holy man, and shared by a few devout and decorous people. (It could not be worse than the mess of the feeding of the Five Thousand - after which [our] Lord propounded the feeding that was to come.)"


Now, I have never been much of a Tolkien fan. Oh, I read “The Hobbit” & the LOR Trilogy, but 'Narnia was where it was at', as far as I was concerned! I am a Lewis girl, and have been since my childhood. I must have read “The Chronicles of Narnia” a thousand times. In my teen-age years, “The Screwtape Letters” became my “bible”, and as an adult I have gained great appreciation for C. S. Lewis and his writings on Christianity and his journey. (As an aside, if you have not yet seen the movie “Shadowlands” I highly recommend it, it is a wonderful portrayal of Lewis, the man, brilliantly played by Anthony Hopkins) I have discovered that, in most cases, one is either a Tolkien fan or a Lewis fan, but usually not both.
Odd, especially considering that they were great friends and mentors to each other.

I have never seen this quote before, and only recently have actually read some of Tolkien’s writings on Christianity, so when I read this quote, it really stuck a cord with me. I know it is something that I will pray with the next few days and I invite you to do the same. These are wonderful words of wisdom for the people of the DOR, for those entrenched at both ends of the spectrum and the ones who are adrift in the middle.



3 comments:

  1. Ah, Persis. You need to meet three of my kids. All avid Lewis and Tolkien fans.

    I very much appreciate Tolkien's quote and figure, given the current state of liturgical affairs in most of our diocese, we have participated in his proposed exercise countless times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found you through your comment on 'Standing on My Head', so thought I'd check out your blog. Hope you stick around a while.
    I am a Lewis/Tolkien lover.
    The only dissent I have with your comments is about that horrible movie "SHADOWLANDS". Besides being inaccurate, Anthony Hopkins, great actor that he is, was not 'Jack'. Didn't look like him, didn't sound like him and he gave the same talk throughout the movie. Wasn't even 'Mere Christianity' related. And Debra Winger? PULEEZE!!!
    A much better and far more accurate film is "THROUGH THE SHADOWLANDS" with Joss Ackland and Claire Bloom. Check it out.
    Well, that's my rant for today.
    Is 'Persis' really your name? If so, I lIKE IT! Were you named after the actress Persis Khambatta? You are about the right age.
    Be Well, Stay Well, Live Well & Be at Peace

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matthew the Curmudgeon,
    Thanks for stopping by! Please visit again.

    You are the second person to say this about "Shadowlands", but I had never heard of the other movie, I will check it out, thanks!

    No, Persis is not my real name, and it has nothing to do with the actress, sorry!
    It comes for Romans 16:12, she is "one of the women" Paul refers to in his letter, as workers for the Lord. And since that is what I consider myself, it seemed to be the perfect pseudonym!

    God's peace and blessings to you!

    Persis

    ReplyDelete