Gifts of the Spirit

There are different gifts but the same Spirit; there are different ministries but the same Lord; there are different works but the same God who accomplishes all of them in everyone. To each person the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. To one the Spirit gives wisdom in discourse, to another the power to express knowledge. Through the Spirit one receives faith; by the same Spirit another is given the gift of healing, and still another miraculous powers. Prophecy is given to one; to another power to distinguish one spirit from another. One receives the gift of tongues, another that of interpreting the tongues. But it is one and the same Spirit
who produces all these gifts distributing them to each as he wills.
1 Corinthians 12:4-11
May we all live the gifts that we have been given in humble service to God and others.











Monday, February 1, 2010

"Teaching" Mass

Cleansing Fire had a post about an upcoming “teaching” Mass at St. Jude’s. The idea intrigues me, as I have never been to a “teaching” Mass. In theory, I have no problem with the idea. Actually I think it may be a good one, if it is done properly.


I know that, especially in the DOR, there is always a fear that things like this will not be done in a dignified and respectful manner.

I came across a “teaching” Mass program that covers a different part of the Mass, one each week for 5 weeks on the web from the Diocese of Baker in Oregon. I like the idea of stretching the teaching out over 5 weeks, and the hand-outs are a great idea. I am not sure if something like this format, all at once, in one Mass will be as effective, but I guess it is worth a shot.

I have no idea of what the “teaching” Mass at St. Jude’s will be like, but if it is anything like this format, I think that this may be a very good thing.

Thoughts, comments?

2 comments:

  1. I'd rather see the teaching be done outside of Mass. There's nothing wrong with the priest scribbling notes on a blackboard in a classroom. He could show the people a video of the Mass, and stop it at various junctures to make comments and take questions. Then he could rewind it as necessary. How exactly is all of this going to work within an actual Mass? It sounds like questions will be taken during the Mass itself. This seems to me like it will disrupt the flow of the worship and take the sacredness right out of it.

    Don't get me wrong, I love that the priest is trying to teach the Mass to the people. I'm just concerned that this is not going to be done appropriately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I concur with anon 11:41. I'm sure the idea comes from a good place, but this is totally inappropriate. I can't imagine any way for it to be done appropriately. The idea itself is inappropriate.

    Canon 846.1: In celebrating the sacraments the liturgical books approved by competent authority are to be observed faithfully; accordingly, no one is to add, omit, or alter anything in them on one’s own authority.

    ReplyDelete