Gifts of the Spirit

There are different gifts but the same Spirit; there are different ministries but the same Lord; there are different works but the same God who accomplishes all of them in everyone. To each person the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. To one the Spirit gives wisdom in discourse, to another the power to express knowledge. Through the Spirit one receives faith; by the same Spirit another is given the gift of healing, and still another miraculous powers. Prophecy is given to one; to another power to distinguish one spirit from another. One receives the gift of tongues, another that of interpreting the tongues. But it is one and the same Spirit
who produces all these gifts distributing them to each as he wills.
1 Corinthians 12:4-11
May we all live the gifts that we have been given in humble service to God and others.











Tuesday, February 9, 2010

"Spirit of Vatican II"

The Church, post Vatican II, is all I know and I have, for most of my life, embraced the "Spirit of Vatican II" without really knowing what that meant. The past few months, I have begun to see that much of what has been touted as the "spirit of Vatican II", is a far cry from what I actually see in the documents.
I just took a class in sacramental theology, and had to read portions of Sacrosanctum Concilium, and as I was reading, I couldn't help but to think
"I am reading the same documents that our leaders in the DOR did?"

Because I am not taking a class this semester, I decided that I was going to use this time to actually read the Vatican II documents, so I have spent the better part of the past 3 weeks doing just that. And now, I have come to understand the need for and find myself hopeful about the “reform of the reform”.
That said, I do not believe that all of the changes that have come about in the past 40 years are necessarily a “bad thing”, but I do believe that the “envelope” has been pushed a little too far. I believe though, that any reform must be handled very carefully. It is my understanding that the initial reforms of VII were thrust upon the people, with no catechesis, no transition and with much admonishment of beloved traditions as “not part of what we do anymore”.
As we travel this road of reform, let us remember  these words from Sacrosanctum Concilium

The Council also desires that, where necessary, the rites be revised carefully in the light of sound tradition, and that they be given new vigor to meet the circumstances and needs of modern times.(emphasis mine)
and in this effort to “reform the reforms” let us remember the mistakes that were made in the years after the 2nd Vatican Council, and try not to make the same mistakes again.

1 comment:

  1. I believe that Pope Benedict XVI does not wish to relive the same mistakes that were made following the Council. He has spoken frequently of a "reform of the reform," however he does not appear to be approaching this by pushing widespread changes to the norms. Rather, he is taking a more pastoral approach by demonstrating the appropriate way to offer the new Mass through his papal Masses. It seems that he is hoping that priests, especially the younger ones not set in their "Spirit of VII" ways, will follow his example.

    That's not to say that some changes to the norms will not be coming down the road. For example, it's possible that indults for Communion in the hand could be done away with to restore respect for the Blessed Sacrament which has been lost in many places. However, his approach for the most part appears to be teaching rather than forcing. Let's hope that the priests of the world will be good students and take his lessons to heart.

    ~Dr. K

    ReplyDelete