Gifts of the Spirit

There are different gifts but the same Spirit; there are different ministries but the same Lord; there are different works but the same God who accomplishes all of them in everyone. To each person the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. To one the Spirit gives wisdom in discourse, to another the power to express knowledge. Through the Spirit one receives faith; by the same Spirit another is given the gift of healing, and still another miraculous powers. Prophecy is given to one; to another power to distinguish one spirit from another. One receives the gift of tongues, another that of interpreting the tongues. But it is one and the same Spirit
who produces all these gifts distributing them to each as he wills.
1 Corinthians 12:4-11
May we all live the gifts that we have been given in humble service to God and others.











Monday, February 15, 2010

Lent & The Spiritual Exercises

I came across this resource for Lent on Fr. Longenecker’s blog Standing on my Head. Since I am in the middle of the 19th Annotation of the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius, I am looking forward to using this.

From what I understand from the site, four Jesuits (3 priests, 1 deacon) will guide the reader through Lent and give a brief introduction to and understanding of the Spiritual Exercises along the way.

The “Exercises”, have for me been life-altering and life-giving. My prayer life has been greatly enhanced, I have matured in my spirituality and I have been called to look deeply into myself. They have been a great gift, and one who’s graces I wish to share.

If you are still looking for something to enhance your prayer life this Lent, why not give this a try!

2 comments:

  1. I was gonna do the rosary, but have always been interested in learning about these "spiritual exercises". I've read the first few posts and I think I'm sold. Thanks for sharing this - I'm looking forward to this experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ben,
    I hope you find "the exercises" as "life-giving" as I have. I would be interested to hear what you think- maybe some posts to "Fallicies & Fashions"?
    Maybe this will entice you to check out the 19th Annotation- it is a big commitment, but it has been worth every minute!
    They truly have changed my life.
    Peace,
    Persis

    ReplyDelete