Gifts of the Spirit

There are different gifts but the same Spirit; there are different ministries but the same Lord; there are different works but the same God who accomplishes all of them in everyone. To each person the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. To one the Spirit gives wisdom in discourse, to another the power to express knowledge. Through the Spirit one receives faith; by the same Spirit another is given the gift of healing, and still another miraculous powers. Prophecy is given to one; to another power to distinguish one spirit from another. One receives the gift of tongues, another that of interpreting the tongues. But it is one and the same Spirit
who produces all these gifts distributing them to each as he wills.
1 Corinthians 12:4-11
May we all live the gifts that we have been given in humble service to God and others.











Friday, February 19, 2010

"Through this holy anointing..."

I recently suffered an injury that while more of an inconvenience than anything, has caused me a great deal of pain, and has prevented me from fulfilling some of my obligations this week.

Today, I had the opportunity to receive the sacrament of the Anointing of the Sick. As the priest laid his hands on my head, and offered prayers to God on my behalf for the healing of not only my broken body, but also for my mind, heart and spirit, and then anointed my head and hands,

“Through this holy anointing may the Lord in his love and mercy help you with the grace of the Holy Spirit. Amen.”
“May the Lord who frees you from sin save you and raise you up. Amen.”
I could feel the power of the Holy Spirit flow through my body. And for a brief moment, Father ceased being “Father” and became Jesus, laying His hands on me and releasing me from the burdens of my ills. And while the pain I am feeling is nothing compared to what Jesus endured, I have learned from this experience that I must learn to bear my sufferings with  grace, dignity and complete surrender to the will of the Father, just as Jesus did when he died on the cross.

It was a grace-filled moment, that did indeed lift the heaviness in my heart that was keeping me in the “Why me, Lord?” mentality rather than bringing me into joy of solidarity with Christ in His suffering.

What an awesome gift this sacrament is!

5 comments:

  1. Persis,
    I will pray for your recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope it is not too serious and that you will recover quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Were you anointed with Holy Oil as well or just the laying on of hands? Just curious how it's done these days in the Roman Rite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Matthew the Crumudgeon,

    Yes, I was annointed with oil on my head and hands, as the priest prayed the words above. This was after he laid his hands on me and said a spontaneous prayer for healing for my particular circumstance.

    Glad you stopped by again! :)

    BTW- love your moniker- "curmudgeon" is one of my favorite words!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pain during Lent is timely, but hope it lessens.

    ReplyDelete