Gifts of the Spirit

There are different gifts but the same Spirit; there are different ministries but the same Lord; there are different works but the same God who accomplishes all of them in everyone. To each person the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. To one the Spirit gives wisdom in discourse, to another the power to express knowledge. Through the Spirit one receives faith; by the same Spirit another is given the gift of healing, and still another miraculous powers. Prophecy is given to one; to another power to distinguish one spirit from another. One receives the gift of tongues, another that of interpreting the tongues. But it is one and the same Spirit
who produces all these gifts distributing them to each as he wills.
1 Corinthians 12:4-11
May we all live the gifts that we have been given in humble service to God and others.











Sunday, November 22, 2009

Mea Culpa

First and foremost I want to offer an apology.
My attempt at sarcasm was not taken in the spirit in which I meant it. I have often seen many comments and posts on the blogs regarding our Bishop, many priests, pastoral administrators and the like, that use “cheeky humor” and sarcasm, and decided to try a little of it myself. What I was trying to do was bring to light what I felt was “hypocrisy” in the different camps, - “orthodox and progressive.”


I IN NO WAY WHAT-SO-EVER MEANT TO IMPLY THAT FR. ANTINARELLI IS A HYPOCRITE!

I do not know the man, and have only heard good things about him.

I did not know that the “sign of peace” was optional. It has been part of the liturgy my whole life. I am still not sure if I understand “how” it is optional, and who makes the decision if it is done or not done, so it looks like I have a lot of reading to do, and maybe some more questions to ask.

10 comments:

  1. Just speaking for myself, I did not think you were being sarcastic. I thought you had a good question and you were using Father A parish as an example to make your point. I don't immediately get all bunged up when questions are asked.

    An example of the Sign of Peace being optional is the Mass on EWTN. I don't think that I have ever seen it on EWTN and those friars are usually fairly orthodox and follow the rubrics and competent church authority. So that leads me to believe that its optionality is up to the individual priest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may not have meant it, but you said it nonetheless, Persis.

    To me, a real hypocrite is someone who lashes out against non-heretical Catholics without reason or justification, then hides behind shallow apologies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with choir. You probably should've used some different wording, but nonetheless, I didn't think you were bashing anyone persis. Hopefully you can let the comments of those who lashed back at you roll off you. I thought you were asking an honest question and this post proves it. So, hang in there. Some people need to back off and let someone learn. Not everyone has the entire girm memorized.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Choir & Ben,
    Thanks for your comments!
    At least soemone out there "gets" me!

    To Deus Vult- Am I correct in assuming you are calling me a "heretic"? I was not "lashing out", I was asking a question. I guess though, you have just proven my point!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was being sarcastic, Persis. Evidently it's alright for you, but not for me?

    I seem to remember something about cookies and hypocrisy . . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. This blog is good... FOR ME TO POOP ON!

    ReplyDelete
  8. no, no, no - if you're able to defecate via the internet tubes, you ought to call both a plumber and a proctologist.

    And, no, I am not volunteering my services.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy thanksgiving.

    ~Dr. K

    ReplyDelete
  10. Persis,

    Have a blessed and happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete