Gifts of the Spirit

There are different gifts but the same Spirit; there are different ministries but the same Lord; there are different works but the same God who accomplishes all of them in everyone. To each person the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. To one the Spirit gives wisdom in discourse, to another the power to express knowledge. Through the Spirit one receives faith; by the same Spirit another is given the gift of healing, and still another miraculous powers. Prophecy is given to one; to another power to distinguish one spirit from another. One receives the gift of tongues, another that of interpreting the tongues. But it is one and the same Spirit
who produces all these gifts distributing them to each as he wills.
1 Corinthians 12:4-11
May we all live the gifts that we have been given in humble service to God and others.











Saturday, November 28, 2009

Advent Reflections




The past few years, amidst a sea of loss, grief and personal tragedy, I have come to a much deeper understanding and appreciation for the season of Advent. It is a time of waiting. A time of anticipation. A time of hope.


For someone who was not graced with the virtue of patience, waiting has never been easy for me. And this time of year, with everybody rushing around, hurried and harried, trying to get everything on the “To Do” list done, the long dark nights, the cold and usually the snow (a huge “Thanks be to God” for the lack of that so far this season!), it is easy to lose sight of what a special and wonderful time of year it is.

The Church gave us a wonderful gift with the lectionary cycle. In this week’s second reading, I have found my Advent prayer. A wonderful reminder for us all of what this season of waiting in joyful hope is really all about.

Brothers and sisters:
May the Lord make you increase and abound in love

for one another and for all,
just as we have for you,
so as to strengthen your hearts,
to be blameless in holiness before our God and Father
at the coming of our Lord Jesus with all his holy ones. Amen.

Let the wait begin!

Happy Advent!

9 comments:

  1. A very Blessed Advent to you too, Persis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Persis: This may or may not help with the "commercial" part of the Advent season.

    I tell my family and friends that I absolutely, totally refuse to go shopping during Advent and I further tell them that the best Christmas present they could give to me is to NOT go shopping for me (they can go shopping for anybody else) but just not me.

    Of course, they all want to know why -- I tell them about Advent and the meaning in a few short words. But I also promise them that we can go shopping after Christmas and even go out to lunch or dinner.

    They love it because they get to spend some time (it turns out to be 4 or 5 hours) with their uncle. We get around to talking about the meaning of Advent/Christmas. They are usually too wound up before Christmas to really talk about the religious values of the Advent/Christmas season.

    Having finally "waited" to get their attention, I got it. It's an excellent chance to talk about God and religion and Incarnation. They always have lots of questions about God, the Catholic Church, etc.

    In fact this year, we are going to read through the hymn "Behold, Behold He Cometh". I'm going to ask them what they think it means. It gives us a good chance to talk about the Incarnation and the mystery of life that Our Lord has given us.

    Having them with me is the best present they give me.

    I pray for a deep and Holy Advent season for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Choir,

    What a great approach with your family.

    When our 5th child was born three years ago (on December 8th), I was completely overwhelmed with the whole pre-Christmas activity. I had a new born and 4 other small kids and I was killing myself trying to create the "perfect" Christmas. Well, that's the year we really decided that something had to change. And it did.

    We did not decorate until Christmas Eve (and the decorations were simple at that). We baked Christmas cookies starting on the first day of Christmas and made a different kind throughout the octave. We played no Christmas music until Christmas day and we really learned about the other feast days during Advent. Since then, I've noticed that the kids enjoy Advent, the preparation, as much as Christmas.

    Most of our family think we are crazy. They think we've gotten "too religious." But I have such freedom now - now that I understand Advent and the Incarnation. What a difference that understanding has made in how we celebrate. No more going crazy with shopping, food preparation, teacher gifts and bus driver gifts and gifts for just about everyone who interacts with my kids. And slowly we are getting people to respect our request for fewer gifts or for giving to a charity instead. It has been liberating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Persis: What a fabulous story. You will create the perfect Christmas by teaching them how to have a perfect Advent. Most excellent.

    Your kids will follow your lead about how to celebrate any holiday or holyday. You are teaching them joyous expectation of the coming Christmas season. They look forward to your distinct tradition of the Advent and Christmas season. These are the same traditions that they will pass on to their families too. Just think of what you are helping to build (obviously with God's help) by teaching your kids how to live as good Catholics.

    I'm not sure how old your children are, but when you think it's appropriate make the comment about how the day after Christmas many trees are at the curb, the decorations are taken down, etc. In the secular world Christmas is sadly over BUT in your family the season is just starting with cookies in hand. yum yum

    You're probably already doing this but maybe they would like to give one of their gifts to a needy child, or adopt a needy family before Christmas. I always had mixed feelings about doing that - what happens after Christmas? Christmas Day is just that, a day; poverty and want is a full year.

    If you get a chance, take the kids to see Saint Stanislaus Church anytime starting Midnight Mass to see, as the parish calls it, "The Polish Forest".

    I pray that you and your whole family have a very blessed Advent season, Persis.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Choir,

    The post above was from me, Nerina.

    My kids range in age from 14 to 3 years old. Each year we anticipate Advent more and more. I love this time of year and mostly because we keep the TV and commercial radio to a minimum.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nerina,
    I just caught that Nerina. My fault. It's these damn rented eyes of mine. They never work like the real ones do. I'll ask Santa for new eyes this year. I really hope that he keeps an "eye" out for me..LOL.

    Sorry, Persis. Confusion reigns.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nerina, Awesome! I think that it is great that you are teaching your kids that Christmas is a whole lot more that what secular society has made it!

    Choir, thanks for your comments to me and Nerina. Got scared there for a minute when you asked about my kids....
    I don't have any!! :)
    Peace to you both!
    Persis

    ReplyDelete
  8. Persis: Because it's your blog I just assumed the posting was from you. I'll look closer the next time to see who actually posted. I got this real hankering for some egg nog, maybe that will improve my eyesight.
    Pax et bonum all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nerina, wonderful story. Keeping Advent as Advent and Christmas as Christmas does make a big difference.

    ReplyDelete