Gifts of the Spirit

There are different gifts but the same Spirit; there are different ministries but the same Lord; there are different works but the same God who accomplishes all of them in everyone. To each person the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. To one the Spirit gives wisdom in discourse, to another the power to express knowledge. Through the Spirit one receives faith; by the same Spirit another is given the gift of healing, and still another miraculous powers. Prophecy is given to one; to another power to distinguish one spirit from another. One receives the gift of tongues, another that of interpreting the tongues. But it is one and the same Spirit
who produces all these gifts distributing them to each as he wills.
1 Corinthians 12:4-11
May we all live the gifts that we have been given in humble service to God and others.











Monday, November 16, 2009

The Inclusive Language Debate

Ahhh, language, what a beautiful thing!


The issue of “gender neutral” language in the liturgical setting seems to me, to be one of the proverbial “lines in the sand” between orthodox and progressive Catholics. My friends over at Cleansing Fire  have posed some interesting questions, so as to not hijack the “com box’ there, I give you my humble opinions on the matter here.

In some respects, I believe this whole debate is a bunch of malarkey!
Jesus was a man, there is no way around that, and whenever we refer to him, it should be as a man!
God, however, is neither male nor female, as we were both created in God’s image. God is more than that. In the relational aspect, God was Jesus’ father therefore that is how Jesus referred to God.

For me, that is also my image of God, as a loving, patient, father, waiting for me to “come home”. For others, though, that may not be the image of “father” that they have. Their image of father may be one of fear and intimidation and I don’t expect that is how God would want someone to feel about Him.

I pray the Liturgy of the Hours, in the format that most priest and deacons do, which was written by men and for men. When I read the word “men” as it relates to the community or the world, I do not see just the male of the species, but all of human kind, because I know that up until about 30 years ago, this was an accepted practice! We did not get so wrapped up in the “what you said vs. what you meant” mentality. (Which is a whole other post!)

And then there is the Holy Spirit. I have heard the Spirit referred to as the “wisdom of God”. Well, in Greek, a language that many of our Latin translations come from, wisdom was personified as a woman, Sophia. Again, is there any reason to “box” in the Holy Spirit to one gender? If the Holy Spirit is the “essence” of God’s unfathomable wisdom, love and mercy, is it right to say that it must be either/or?

For me, this is all a very personal issue and depends on my relationship with God. That said, I do believe that we need to have some “structure” as to our liturgical practices. My idea of how to “bridge the gap” between the two sides is this…

When referring to a specific person, Jesus, Mary, one of the apostles, saints, etc., use the specific pronoun.

When referring to God, unless it is in direct relation to Jesus’ relationship, leave off the qualifier. (God, the father, we ask that you hear our prayer…) We acknowledge the relationship when we end our prayer, “We ask this through Jesus Christ, your son…, without using “gender specific language”

The Holy Spirit is a tough one. In the Creed, when I pray it privately, I use the feminine pronoun to refer to the Holy Spirit (“with the Father and Son she is worshiped and glorified, she has spoken through the prophets…”). I guess it depends on my mood at Mass, and where I am, if I say it there, and if I do use the feminine pronoun, it is barely audible, as I do not want to offend anyone around me. I am not sure what I would do in this case, and am glad that I do not have to make the decision.

Which brings us to the most important thing, ultimately, it is up to the Church to decide on translations. This, from my understanding, is a very daunting and intimidating task, as many words have more than one meaning, and we cannot always be sure of context, syntax, grammar, etc.

I (we) can only pray that the people whose job it is to do these things act out of the knowledge that we all, male and female, were created in the image of a loving, benevolent, merciful God and that to use language to diminish that all encompassing love is, in my humble opinion, wrong.

Peace to All!

12 comments:

  1. No one has the right to deviate from the prayers of the Church due to personal beliefs.

    And we are not worshiping Sophia, or the wisdom of God, we are worshiping the Holy Ghost, who "emerges from the Father and the Son." One cannot have a feminine "spirit" from a masculine being.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Persis,

    Some good thoughts. I agree that each person should not be deciding which pronouns he or she will use in public prayer. Our director of Adult Ed. is obnoxious about it (I notice that you use "she" in a quiet voice, which I appreciate). He very loudly replaces "he/him/his" with "God" at every opportunity. I can hear him when I am sitting 5 pews away. I find it obnoxious for two reasons: 1) it disrupts the flow of the prayer and 2) it actually draws attention to him and away from our worship. What arrogance! And sometimes the inclusive language is just laughable. We're adults. We can take the "for us men and for our salvation."

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of the reasons I only go to OLV or St. Stan's is because this director of Adult Ed person would just send me over the edge. As loudly as he says "God" I would say "He/him/his". I would get mad and what good is going to church if you get mad because some jerk decides to make up his version of the prayers. I know myself, I would not be docile, I would confront him immediately after Mass and we WOULD have words. So, honestly what's the use. I'm not going to have some bozo steamroll me with his arrogance. See..........it's just not worth it. I'll stick to OLV or St. Stan's where nothing like this happens. It's so peaceful and serene. You can actually pray, quietly too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why would Jesus and God the Father be considered masculine, yet the Holy Spirit feminine? That seems like it would contradict of the idea of the trinity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. David- If both man and woman are created in God's image, how can God not be both masculine and feminine?

    Anon. 12:02- your comment is childish and has been removed because it violates "my rules" for anonymous posters!

    Anon. 8:49-
    I am sorry, but in my 40 or so years I have always heard the trinity described as "God in three persons" not "God as three men".

    Choir & Nerina, thank you for your comments! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Persis -- Thank you also for keeping my rather cheeky comments up. I just want a peaceful, calm, orthodox church with very good liturgy and preaching and no personal agendas when I attend Mass. BTW Persis, this Sunday is a High Mass at St. Stan's. I hope you can make it. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "David- If both man and woman are created in God's image, how can God not be both masculine and feminine?"

    Possibly because God created man, and then from man he created woman.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anon: 11:46am
    Genesis 1:27
    "God created man in his image; in the divine image he created him; male and female he created them."

    This is the "first story" of creation, it is not until Genesis 2:21 that we come to the story of woman being "made" from man.

    Why two different stories, and which one are we supposed to believe?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Choir,

    You sound like my husband. Actually, I've never thought of confronting the man (mostly because he would go into a long-winded, sophistric reason for his "innovation" and I don't want to hear it), but I probably should. The whole practice is laughable when I think about reciting the Gloria. He, and the priest too, goes to great lengths to say "Glory to God in the highest, and peace to GOD'S people on earth." Then they go on to refer to God as King, God as Father, and yet they insist on replacing "he." It's utterly stupid.

    Persis mentioned that Jesus refers to God as "Father" since that is the way Jesus relates to God (I hope I represented that correctly, Persis). But, didn't Jesus, when he taught us to pray, say "OUR Father?" I'm not saying that makes God male, but it does seem to support us identifying him that way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Why even do it? Why change the texts at all? What is the reason to refer to God as she or her?

    ReplyDelete