Gifts of the Spirit

There are different gifts but the same Spirit; there are different ministries but the same Lord; there are different works but the same God who accomplishes all of them in everyone. To each person the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. To one the Spirit gives wisdom in discourse, to another the power to express knowledge. Through the Spirit one receives faith; by the same Spirit another is given the gift of healing, and still another miraculous powers. Prophecy is given to one; to another power to distinguish one spirit from another. One receives the gift of tongues, another that of interpreting the tongues. But it is one and the same Spirit
who produces all these gifts distributing them to each as he wills.
1 Corinthians 12:4-11
May we all live the gifts that we have been given in humble service to God and others.











Sunday, October 25, 2009

Imagination: A gift from God

Over at Ten Reasons, Mr. Leonardi makes yet another comment against Bishop Clark that I find very confusing. I was not at the African Mass, and do not know for sure what context his (Bishop Clark's) comments regarding "imagine the day you were baptized" were used in. The thing I find disturbing is Mr. Leonardi's (and some of the commenter’s) total dismissal of using one's imagination (which is a gift from God, is it not?), as a means to cultivate a relationship with God. Nearly 500 years ago Ignatius, in his own conversion, used his imagination to become closer to God, and has given us, in his Spiritual Exercises, explicit instructions for doing so.
I recently have embarked on the journey that is the 19th Annotation of the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius, and I have found that through the use of my imagination, by putting myself into the scripture passage I am praying with on any particular day, I find myself really becoming connected with the Word, which in turn has helped me to start to cultivate a deeper relationship with God and Jesus, and to have a greater appreciation for the richness and traditions of our faith.
I think that this is an example of what bothers me most about some (read some, not all!) traditional Catholics. Here we have a form of prayer that has been part of the tradition of the church for nearly half a millennium, that is being, in my perception, lumped into a category of "new age-y, progressive thought that has no place in our church" (not Mr. Leonardi's words, but my perception based on my experience with the "traditional" set.)
Prayer is a very personal thing. I have tried many forms of formal prayer- the Liturgy of the Hours, the Rosary, contemplative prayer, Lectio Divina- some bring me peace and consolation (the Liturgy of the Hours especially, as no matter what time I recite a specific "hour" somewhere, someone else is doing it also, giving me a sense of community), and others (like the Rosary, which I find distracting, repetitive and not at all prayerful) do not.  How I (or anyone else for that matter) find God through prayer is not what matters.
What matters is that I pray!

Peace to All!

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a difference between meditation at Mass and at personal prayer outside of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Genjlcgettys,
    Yes, I agree there is a difference between personal meditaion and prayer at Mass. As I said, I was not at the Mass so I have no idea what the context of this was.
    However, in his post Mr. Leonardi used the term "looniness" to first describe the use of imagination in an RCIA class, not in a Mass, and this, at least in my perception, seems to be a condemnation of "any" use of the imagination on his part. I do not presume to speak for him, or his commenters, but this is what I got out of his post, hence my post.
    If I am mistaken, I would gladly listen to any attempt at clarification of his position.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excuse me, the term was "loopy"- mea culpa

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous,

    With what do you disagree? And please, before you answer, read the post "My Blog- My Rules". I will be happy to engage in dialogue with you so long as you agree to my terms.

    Peace,
    Persis

    ReplyDelete
  7. Persis,

    I appreciate your viewpoint. There is a comment by "eulogos"(over at Rich's blog) which I find very insightful. It says the following:

    "I guess I would say that there is nothing positively bad about this in isolation. It is the whole collection of things like this, not accompanied by a collection of teachings with more theological content, which is the problem here."

    This comment sums up, for me, the main problem in our diocese when it comes to really teaching the Faith in its entirety.

    ReplyDelete