Gifts of the Spirit

There are different gifts but the same Spirit; there are different ministries but the same Lord; there are different works but the same God who accomplishes all of them in everyone. To each person the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. To one the Spirit gives wisdom in discourse, to another the power to express knowledge. Through the Spirit one receives faith; by the same Spirit another is given the gift of healing, and still another miraculous powers. Prophecy is given to one; to another power to distinguish one spirit from another. One receives the gift of tongues, another that of interpreting the tongues. But it is one and the same Spirit
who produces all these gifts distributing them to each as he wills.
1 Corinthians 12:4-11
May we all live the gifts that we have been given in humble service to God and others.











Sunday, December 6, 2009

Advent Reflections



As we start the second week of Advent, we hear the words of John the Baptist calling us to repent and seek forgiveness for our sins, and then he reminds of Isaiah the prophet’s words, “Prepare the way of the Lord…”

Prepare. This is a word that will be heard a lot the next few weeks.
"I have to prepare for that party at work."  
"I have to prepare Christmas dinner for 14 people this year."  
"Our Christmas preparations are not going as planned; we don’t even have a tree yet!"
These are many of the things that seem to take the forefront in this time of Advent.
And with all the preparations for Christmas that keep us hurried and harried, I wonder

What am I doing to prepare myself to receive the gift of the incarnation?

Do I need to seek forgiveness from someone? To give it? Do I need to make amends for something I have done, or not done? Do I need to celebrate in the joy of reconciling with someone or mourn the fact that I must reconcile with myself that the reconciliation that I pray for may never come? Can I love and accept all that I am, good and not so good, solely based on my faith that I am a beloved creation of God, created in His image, to be His face to all I meet?

Advent is a time of waiting. A time of anticipation. A time in which to listen to the whisperings of the Holy Spirit, stirring deep within my heart. A time of emptying out all off the clutter that fills my soul, so that I may receive the present of God’s presence on earth as we celebrate the birth of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

It seems to me that this is the most important preparation I can do for Christmas this year.

Happy Advent!

No comments:

Post a Comment