Gifts of the Spirit

There are different gifts but the same Spirit; there are different ministries but the same Lord; there are different works but the same God who accomplishes all of them in everyone. To each person the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. To one the Spirit gives wisdom in discourse, to another the power to express knowledge. Through the Spirit one receives faith; by the same Spirit another is given the gift of healing, and still another miraculous powers. Prophecy is given to one; to another power to distinguish one spirit from another. One receives the gift of tongues, another that of interpreting the tongues. But it is one and the same Spirit
who produces all these gifts distributing them to each as he wills.
1 Corinthians 12:4-11
May we all live the gifts that we have been given in humble service to God and others.











Friday, July 10, 2009

Into the unknown...

My first blog.
About time I came into the 21st century!!
This is my attempt to share the gifts that the Holy Spirit has bestowed on me.
I am a Roman Catholic woman from the Diocese of Rochester. I am saddened by the outright hostility that other bloggers in the DOR have exhibited towards Bishop Clark, much of the clergy and pastoral staff and anyone who happens to think that the reforms of Vatican II are a good thing. What saddens me even more is the mean-spirited, vicious comments posted on many of these blogs by so-called "Christians".
I did not start this blog to be berated, threatened or condemned to hell! I have started this blog to share my insights and feelings about about spirituality and religion.
Feel free to do so also, whether you agree or disagree.
The only thing I ask is that you are respectful.
Peace to All!
AMDG

1 comment:

  1. Hi Persis,
    I just discovered your blog because of your link over at Catholic Ponderings. I've seen your name in the comments - I didn't realize you had your own blog. I just added it to my rss reader. I think it's great to see some thoughts from those who aren't quite as opposed to the current goings on in the diocese. I certainly agree we need dialogue. I've found your posts thoughtful and humble (especially the one on becoming a priestess) and think perhaps we could start some decent dialogue.

    I'm a recent convert (Easter 07) to the Catholic faith. I studied the Catholic faith somewhat extensively before I joined. I read through many books, the catechism, etc. For me, I felt like I was tricked. I accepted the faith according to what Rome taught. Then shortly after I was confirmed, I found out that our bishop and many priests in our diocese simply don't accept official Church teaching. Instead they follow where the spirit leads them. Well, as a former protestant, I can tell you that this is quite problematic. To me, this is false advertising - there's really no other way to put it. So the point of my blog isn't to try and change the Church, it's to call our leaders to function according to what our Church teaches - not what they'd like her to teach.

    I started writing up a response your post, but figured instead of blasting your comments, I'd post a response up on my blog, so here it is:

    http://www.fallaciesandfashions.com/2009/10/was-vatican-ii-good-thing.html


    I'd love to get your feedback and hope we can continue some sort of dialogue moving forward.

    ReplyDelete